Video length: 11:35 minutes
This PBS video focuses on sea level rise in Norfolk Virginia's and how the residents are managing the logistical, financial and political implications. Science journalists who have been studying Norfolk's rising sea level problems are interviewed as well are local residents who are being impacted.
To demonstrate the impact of sea level rise on communuities. This video can stimulate discussion around risk managment in communities that are projected to suffer from the impact of sea level rise.
ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING MATERIALS
Watch >> Climate Change at the Doorstep
TEACHING NOTES / CONTEXT FOR USE
Norfolk, Virginia has a major base of the U.S. Navy, which takes climate change and sea level rise very seriously.
Rear Admiral David Titley, Oceanographer and Navigator of the US Navy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yvky_xmwk&feature=related
About the Science:
This video offers a case study of a community where sea level rise is already an issue and a glimpse of the related social and infrastructure issues.
Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy:
- This video offers viewers a example of how climate change impacts a community through sea level rise.
- Can be used to spark discussion and further research.
- A good complement to other CLEAN selected sea level rise resources.
Technical Details/Ease of Use: The video is of good production quality and can be embedded.
Assessment is at the discretion of the educator and how this video is applied.
REFERENCES AND RESOURCES
These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEAN
- Bases at Risk: http://global-warning.org/main/installations/
- NY Times article on Norfolk: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/26/science/earth/26norfolk.html
- U.S. Navy Climate Change Roadmap: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/documents/CCR.pdf http://video.pbs.org/video/1818412519