Following suggestions are by CLEAN reviewers:
- Use in a carbon cycle or climate change science unit.
- Great for a middle school geography unit.
- A related lesson plan is available: http://www.windows2universe.org/teacher_resources/permafrost_gas_leak.html
ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING MATERIALS
Printable >> Discussion Questions
TEACHING NOTES / CONTEXT FOR USE
CLEAN reviewers comments about this resource:
- The video reviews the impacts of warming temperatures on the thawing of permafrost in the Arctic with potential release of the greenhouse gas methane. In addition, thawing permafrost damages the infrastructure of communities and facilities at high latitudes.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
- There is a lesson for grades 5-9 that accompanies the video.
- This video is content-rich with excellent visuals.
- Engaging video - things explode
- Quality of video itself is good. There is slight graininess when viewed at full-screen.
- The video can be embedded.
- Ads are very distracting on edges of page - may want to consider this when displaying it to the class.
Assessment is at the discretion of the educator and how this video is applied.