Video length: 11:35 min.
Selected for the CLEAN Collection.
This PBS video focuses on sea level rise in Norfolk, Virginia and how the residents are managing the logistical, financial and political implications. Science journalists who have been studying Norfolk's rising sea level problems are interviewed as well are local residents who are being impacted.GOALS
Following suggestions are by CLEAN reviewers:
This video offers a case study of a community where sea level rise is already an issue and a glimpse of the related social and infrastructure issues.ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING MATERIALS
Watch >> Climate Change at the Doorstep
Printable >> Discussion Questions
TEACHING NOTES / CONTEXT FOR USE
CLEAN reviewers comments about this resource:
- Norfolk, Virginia has a major base of the U.S. Navy, which takes climate change and sea level rise very seriously.
- See: Rear Admiral David Titley, Oceanographer and Navigator of the US Navy-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yvky_xmwk&feature=related
- This video offers a case study of a community where sea level rise is already an issue and a glimpse of the related social and infrastructure issues.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
- This video offers viewers an example of how climate change impacts a community through sea level rise.
- Can be used to spark discussion and further research.
- A good complement to other CLEAN selected sea level rise resources.
- Bases at Risk: http://global-warning.org/main/installations/
- NY Times article on Norfolk: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/26/science/earth/26norfolk.html
- U.S. Navy Climate Change Roadmap: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/documents/CCR.pdf
Assessment is at the discretion of the educator and how this video is applied.