Video length: 5:42 min.
This video from the U.S. National Academies summarizes the energy challenges the United States faces, the technological challenges, and the need for behavior and policy changes required to meet the challenge.
About the Science
- Good overview of the challenges and opportunities facing the United States in order to reduce carbon emissions and decarbonize society.
- Glosses over some details such as the statement nuclear energy does not produce carbon emissions, which ignores carbon emissions involved with mining, refining, and transportation.
- The video is emotionally loaded (especially with the dramatic music that is played during the clip). Its intent is to inspire awareness and change, not to teach science content.
- Does not address the facts that we need a portfolio of energy sources not just nuclear and renewable energy.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING MATERIALS
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- A transcript of the video is available.
TEACHING NOTES / CONTEXT FOR USE
- Video may be used to stimulate discussion in classrooms but requires unpacking more details since the reality is not necessarily as rosy as it painted here.
- Important to drill down more into the details of science content.
- Could be linked with the National Academies website America's Energy Future: http://sites.nationalacademies.org/Energy/index.htm and http://needtoknow.nas.edu/energy/
Assessment is at the discretion of the educator as to how the resource is used.