Video length 3:35 min.
This NASA video reviews the role of the sun in driving the climate system. It uses colorful animations to illustrate Earth's energy balance and how increased greenhouse gases are creating an imbalance in the energy budget, leading to warming. The video also reviews how the NASA satellite program collects data on the sun.
Goals adapted from CLEAN Reviewers comments:
- To embed into units dealing with the greenhouse effect and Earth's energy budget
- To introduce a module on the energy budget and why the sun is important in the climate system
ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING MATERIALS
Explore >> Striking a Solar Balance
TEACHING NOTES / CONTEXT FOR USE
Teaching Notes / Context For Use by CLEAN Reviewers:
- Can be embedded into units dealing with the greenhouse effect and Earth's energy budget.
- Nice intro to a module on the energy budget and why the sun is important in the climate system.
- The related URL (http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/solar_variability.html) provides helpful background info for the instructor and/or students to put the video in better context.
About the Science
- Earth's radiation budget and use of satellites to measure solar energy is discussed.
- Passed initial science review - expert science review pending.
About the Pedagogy
- Colorful animations appeal to visual learners.
Technical Details/Ease of Use
- Very easy to use.
Assessment is at the discretion of the instructor.
REFERENCES AND RESOURCES
Related URLs: These related sites were noted by our reviewers but have not been reviewed by CLEANNASA Mission News article "Solar Variability: Striking a Balance with Climate Change"
Description by NASA Goddard Climate and Radiation Branch: Planet Earth is an oasis of life, but without the Sun, our home planet would be a drastically different, inhospitable place. The Sun’s electromagnetic energy makes life on Earth possible; solar power also generates clouds, cleans our water, and drives ocean currents, thunderstorms, and hurricanes. For three decades, NASA scientists have studied the unique relationship between the Sun and the Earth, and they are particularly interested in the role of the Sun in Earth’s energy balance. This short film explores the vital connection between the Earth and the Sun, and includes an interview with Dr. Robert Cahalan, head of the NASA Goddard Climate and Radiation Branch.