PowerPoint: Climate Change and Sustainability
This is an introductory level presentation exploring the various definitions of the term "environmental sustainability" and the connection between climate change and human population growth and its impact on the viability of the earth's systems.
To explore the various perspectives of the term "environmental sustainabilty".
“Environmental Sustainability” has different meanings to different people
• “Environmental Sustainability” extends beyond human existence
• Intelligence is not a good predictor of species longevity
• Longevity within species is tied to metabolic rate
• Environmental factors affect human migration, distribution, endeavors
• Structures made by humans are not sustainable
• Growth of human populations and economic systems are accelerating
CONTEXT FOR USE
This presentation can be used as an introduction to the topic of Climate Change or an introduction to Environmental Sustainability. It could also be used for many interdisiclinary courses to incorporate population growth, sustainability and climate change issues. It could also be used for informal education.
ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION AND TEACHING MATERIALS
Download the Pdf of the presentation.
Assessment at at the discretion of the educator and how the presentation is used.
REFERENCES AND RESOURCES
Produced by the faculty of University of North Carolina, see authors.